Basic Alpaca Care
- Alpacas must have protection from predators. A perimeter fence of 6' tall can keep out predators or a herd guardian such as a llama.
- We recommend keeping dogs away from your alpacas.
- Must have protection from wind and bad weather such as a barn or 3 sided shelter.
- Pasture with sufficient room to run.
- Different areas to divide males from females.
- Feed grain and mineral. We feed Ranchway Alpaca grain and mineral every evening.
- Keep free choice hay stocked. We feed Orchard grass/alfalfa mix (the alfalfa is great for nursing and pregnant mothers). Be careful though must not be too stemy or dusty! And nice and green! They are picky!
- Fill water. Must have clean full water.
- Scoop poop as needed. We scoop on the weekends.
- We shear our animals every spring.
- Teeth trimming if needed during shearing, this includes male fighting teeth.
- Trim toenails during shearing, but some of them need it done more frequently.
- CDT vaccine once a year and deworm.
Updated February 22, 2017