Home of the “WeavinAlpaca”
Welcome to the studio at Quarry Critters Alpaca Ranch
Here you will find items that are handmade from alpaca fibers. These alpaca fibers come from alpacas grown on the ranch.
In May the alpacas get a haircut then their fiber is skirted, sorted and processed.
The processing used here at Julie's fiber studio are:
1.Raw fiber is sent off to a family run mini mill to be made into yarn and returned to our ranch. This yarn is labeled with the name of the alpaca that donated the fiber
2. Raw fiber can be sent to a co-operative where it gets mixed with other North American Fibers and made into product such as hats, scarves, gloves and socks then returned to QCAR as a finished product.
3. In the ranch studio we process it by hand:
- hand card it (that’s when you brush it so all the hairs are going in the same direction)
- make into roving (somewhat like a rope) or a batt (somewhat like a pillow)
- dye it, (that’s where the color comes in) or not and leave it a natural color.
- Spin it into yarn
- Knit, needle felt or weave it into a finished product
So now we have lots of fibers and invite our friends and customers in to enjoy this alpaca fiber.
We offer handmade alpaca products, co-op made products and Peruvian made alpaca products online at www.QuarryCrittersAlpacas.com
And from our ranch studio located on Basehoar Rd. Littlestown, PA
While you are shopping online at the website above please take time to look at the calendar and Events offered here in the studio. We offer you a chance to learn and make your own alpaca product that you can use as a keepsake and give as a gift.
Our fiber teachers are Monica Bessette, creatively teaches needle felting, another teacher was voted Adam’s County’s best Fiber Specialist, Annette Ehly. Julie Wysong, owner of Quarry Critters Alpaca Ranch, also teaches in the studio.
Come join the fun. Check the calendar and Events on the website and sign up today. Call and Schedule a time to shop or drop in on Friday & Saturday 11:00 – 4:00 Sept. - January